Deep Underground with Raul Groom

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The Death of the Doctor

As you probably already know, Dr. Hunter S. Thompson died this weekend of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Hopefully I will have more to say about this in the near future, but these days, who knows? For now I will direct you to the sort of Thompson obituary there should be more of. Nothing would disgust the Doctor more than the legions of swine who are now clamoring to praise Thompson in death, when their lives were and are an affront to everything he stood for.

Those who did not get it should just keep on not getting it. Death has not taken the Doctor from those who understood him. Nor has it brought him any closer to those who did not.

That is all for now.

1 Comments:

  • While I disagree with the author's questioning of Thompson as a great American author (the Beat Era is long gone, but we still read Kerouac, Ginsberg, and Burroughs), I too am glad to see a Thompson obit that doesn't kiss up to his ashes. I share a birthday with Thompson, as well as John Glenn and Nelson Mandela; and I've always felt that I have a little of each of them in my personality. I find it especially appropriate that he chose to end his life after living a full life and not wanting to suffer the pain and indignities of old age or burden his family. As Neil Young (who scored Thompson's biopic) said, "It's better to burn out than to fade away." I hope his family is able to fulfill his wish of having his ashes shot from a cannon.

    By Blogger Julie, at February 24, 2005 at 2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home