Deep Underground with Raul Groom

Friday, January 14, 2005

Blog of the Week #1 - The Poor Man

This week I bring you The Poor Man, a blog that will always be near and dear to my heart because it is butt-ugly, the guy obviously knows little or nothing about HTML, and yet the blog is widely read, somewhat respected, and often sidesplittingly funny. In other words, it's what I dream this blog could one day become.

The Poor Man, then, is a little like my virtual Brian Brennan. For those of you out there who are not up on your obscure Browns trivia, Brian Brennan was a wide receiver for the Cleveland Browns in the mid-80's, during what Browns fans refer to wistfully as "The Bernie Kosar Era."

What made Brennan so wonderful? Brian Brennan was goofy, Brian Brennan was white, and Brian Brennan was slow. He really had nothing going for him except that he could catch absolutely anything, which is a skill that can be cultivated with practice. Thus Brian Brennan inspired me to become the greatest wide receiver I could possibly be.

Of course, the greatest wide receiver I could possibly be was not particularly good. However, it did eventually result in the greatest moment of my adolescent sporting career - at a Thanksgiving Day pickup game at one of the local high schools, I actually got picked. Not "OK, we'll take this goofy white guy, you get the guy in the wheelchair" but "we'll take the goofy white guy, he has good hands."

I will never forget that moment, though it would be nice if I could forget the game, which called the talent evaluation skills of our team captain into considerable question. We got massacred. It got so bad that I, head swelled with pride from actually being selected, actually being preferred over other able-bodied people in a sporting event, took over the reins of our offense for three extremely ignominious drives, which ended fumble (mine), interception (mine - bad throw), interception (mine - bad decision).

But never mind all that. For one brief, shining moment, it was Camelot.

Just as Brian Brennan inspired me to become the best bad wide receiver I could be, so does the Poor Man inspire me to become the best bad blogger I can be. Thanks, Poor Man. Blog on with your bad self. Blog on.

3 Comments:

  • I was digging The Poor Man. Raul was psychologically forced to way in on the softball discussion, which was awesome. And then I get to the post about 24. Bastard sure knows a lot about the show for a guy who asks "How can anybody watch that show '24'?" Sorry, that annoyed the crap out of me. Of course, I am one of those anybodies.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 14, 2005 at 8:35 PM  

  • Dammit, I can't spell to save my life. Or leave my name properly. That's supposed to be "weigh," as I'm sure everyone but me knows.

    Vampire Elf

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 14, 2005 at 8:37 PM  

  • I am impressed that Poor Man sells a thong with his logo on it. I wonder if anyone has ever bought one?
    http://www.cafepress.com/thepoorman.16576222

    --Sophia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 17, 2005 at 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home