Deep Underground with Raul Groom

Monday, December 13, 2004

Gary Webb is dead today, in an apparent suicide. I am sure I cannot describe my feelings, but I will say it is probably much like Kurt Cobain's biggest fan's felt when they learned of his suicide 10 years ago. I am crushed. The man was beyond a hero and an inspiration; he was a god to me. He proved a lot of things about this world, some of them not so lovely, and he had grit and passion and he wasn't afraid to stand up to the whole goddamn world if he had to.

In the end, perhaps it was just too much for him.

If you don't know who Webb is or what made him special, I'm not going to try to bring you up to speed in this space. You should check it out for yourself. Start here, it's Webb talking at a conference and his warm personality and his toughness really come through. After you read this, or better yet listen to it, google some of his work and be educated about what investigative journalism was, before we decided all that reality was harshing our mellow, and we'd really prefer our reality with a heaping helping of TV, thank you very much.

Yeah, I'm bitter. And no, I don't rule out the possibility that it wasn't a suicide. But whether he did it himself or somebody did it for him, it's the same bastards that are at fault anyway. I'll miss you, Gary. I wish you hadn't done it. But I understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home