Deep Underground with Raul Groom

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

So what happened? Well, in terms of what actually caused the election to go the way it did, of course it's too early to say. We'll have to analyze the voting patterns over the course of the next few months to figure that out.

In terms of me personally, I think to anybody who reads this space it's obvious what happened - I saw what I wanted to see. My mood this morning makes it clear to me that a Bush victory was so unthinkable, I never could have foreseen it, even if the evidence had been ten times clearer. Clearly I have a lot of growing up to do, and if I'm ever going to be a serious commentator, I've got to find a way to see what's really there. I've made two big calls this year and I blew both badly, with no excuse.

In terms of the implications of the result, they seem pretty clear. Four years ago, no matter what the apologists say, George Bush did not legitimately win the election. However, it can scarcely be denied now that a large majority of America shares George Bush's ideology. For those of us who do not share that ideology, we clearly have some hard choices ahead of us. As much as I hate to admit it, where George Bush is leading us, America wants to go.

Daniel emailed me this morning with a wonderful H.L. Mencken quote - "Democracy is the theory that people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." And as a believer in representative democracy, I'll stipulate now that George Bush has license to take us further down the path we are already on, that is - aggressive war, crippling deficits, and the destruction of the social safety net. This is the path we have chosen. Perhaps, as was the case with Bill Clinton and his Republican detractors, we are all overreacting, and the Bush presidency will turn out to be a roaring historical success.

What's not in question is that we'll now get to find out for sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home